The Children’s Literacy Charity privacy statement
Your privacy is important to The Children’s Literacy Charity and we are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy, letting you know how we use your personal information and making responsible use of your data.
Data we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information acquired/provided through our website. This is includes requesting further information. We may also ask you for further information when you respond to a survey and/or when you report a problem with our website.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence. This may be personal information from you when you or your organisation enquires about our activities or subscribe to one of our services. This may include your name, title, email address, physical address, telephone numbers and job title. We may also ask for some additional, non-personal information.
- We may ask you to complete an optional survey for research purposes.
- Details of transactions you carry out through the website.
- Details of your request for online or hard copy resources.
- CVs/application forms or other information about yourself for specific purposes.
- Information that you send us by email or give us over the phone that is relevant to the request.
- Information that you pass to us via social media/public information.
How we use your data
We use personal information held about you in the following ways:
- To update and enhance our records
- To compile information relating to our services and products and make recommendations about services and other areas that may interest you.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any agreements entered into between you and us to provide you with the information and services you request from us.
- We may analyse your data to create a profile of your interests and preferences so that we can contact you in the most appropriate way and with the most relevant information.
- As required by law.
We will only send information via the preferred method of contact. We will not contact you unless you have given informed consent. We will not collect any personal data from you that we do not need in order to provide this service to you. You can change your contact preferences at any time by contacting us by email to email@example.com or telephone 020 7740 1008.
Disclosure of your data
We will not transfer any of your data to any third parties without your permission, unless indicated in this policy.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties without obtaining consent from you including:
- Where we outsource any of our business functions under which we collect and store your data, in which case we will ensure that any such service provider adheres to the same obligations of security with regard to your data as undertaken by us.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or to protect our rights, property or safety of our employees, volunteers or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies or organisations for the purpose of fraud protection, safeguarding of our beneficiaries or where necessary to perform our services.
We will never sell your data to third parties for the purpose of marketing.
Where we store your data
We will ensure that all the personal information you supply is held securely, in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. The Children’s Literacy Charity is a registered data controller. Our registration number is Z2990274.
Your data is stored securely, both paper copy and/or electronically and is only processed by The Children’s Literacy Charity staff in the UK who have clear, legitimate reasons for seeing it. By submitting your personal data to us you agree to this storage and processing. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely in accordance with this policy.
How long we keep it
Your information will be kept with us until you notify us that you no longer wish to receive any further information from us. We review our retention periods for personal information on a regular basis. We are legally required to hold some types of information to fulfil our statutory obligations (for example the collection of Gift Aid). We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity or in accordance with your informed consent as required by law.
What are your rights?
We want to make sure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. However we do not assume responsibility for confirming the ongoing accuracy of your personal data.
If at any point you believe the information we process on you is incorrect you can request to see this information and have it corrected or even deleted. You have the right to access information held about you and we will provide this information within one month of the request. Any unreasonable request may be subject to a fee to meet our costs in providing you with the details of the information we hold about you.
If you would like a copy of some or all of your personal information, please email or write to us at the following address:-
The Children’s Literacy Charity
If you wish to raise a complaint on how we have handled your personal data, you can contact our CEO by email to firstname.lastname@example.org who will investigate the matter. If you are not satisfied with our response or believe we are processing your personal data not in accordance with the law you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
Our website contains links to and from other websites. Please note they will have their own privacy policies and you should check them directly.
What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your device (for example your computer or phone) by websites that you visit. They are used extensively in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as collect statistical data about your browsing actions and patterns, but do not identify you as an individual.
Google uses that information to evaluate your use of the website, to produce reports on website activity for website operators and to provide other services relating to website activity and internet usage. Google may also send this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google’s behalf. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google.
Review of this policy