Community Literacy Lab tutors assess and support children and young people who need extra help with literacy via our one-to-one, multi-sensory, phonics based sessions. We focus on a child’s individual needs and help them develop new skills to use in reading, comprehension, writing and spelling.
These sessions are delivered to children 5 years and over by highly skilled and experienced literacy tutors with supporting activities being provided by trained and motivated volunteers.
A typical Community Literacy Lab would open on a Saturday from 10am-12 noon and/or before or after school from 8am-9am and 3.30pm-5.30pm. We currently charge £15 / hour or £7.50 hour for those on means tested benefits.
Children and young people value:
- Additional support which builds on personal learning strengths and abilities
- The opportunity to take chances and make mistakes in a safe environment
- A positive, consistent adult connection
- The opportunity to work at their own pace with the content of the lesson tailored to their needs
Partnership is a key theme for us, particularly amidst the shifting educational and economic landscape and we actively pursue partnerships with other agencies, both inside and outside the educational sectors, whose activities and mission complement our own and with whom we can extend our mutual reach and impact.
Youth and community groups value:
- The contribution that they can make to literacy outcomes by hosting a Literacy Lab
- The quality of the tuition we are able to provide and maintain
- The range of information and services for parents and carers, in order to help them support and encourage their children to read and write as well as fostering family literacy.
- The opportunity to deploy and train their own community volunteers.
I’ve been a volunteer coming up to two years now and I can honestly say it’s one of the best things I’ve been involved with for a long time
– Maxine Volunteer
All interventions result in demonstrable impact for everyone involved.