We work with disadvantaged children who for whatever reason are struggling to make progress in the classroom and are the furthest behind in their literacy skills.
In primary schools in communities where there are high levels of economic and educational disadvantage, we support those children who have the most catching up to do.
We recruit and train our own specialist tutors who work one-to-one or in small groups providing expert tuition to children who can be up to two years behind in their reading. The bigger the literacy gap, the more these children benefit from our specialist support.
Our phonics-based, multi-sensory programme has been developed over many years and since our establishment in 1992, we have supported more than 10,000 children.
Our expert tuition covers all the key areas of literacy, with a particular focus on comprehension as well as reading, writing, speaking and listening.
In both our one-to-one and small group tuition, our goal is to take a tailored, individual approach to each child. We learn about their background, their particular challenges and interests; we find out what sort of learner they are and adapt our teaching approach, using visual, auditory and kinaesthetic modes of learning to help the child overcome their learning barriers.
The Literacy Lab Programme – Key Stage 1
Expert One-to-One Tuition for KS 1
- 45-minute sessions, twice a week with the same specialist tutor
- Child supported until they close their literacy gap or make significant progress (to within six months of their peers)
- Majority of children graduate within two to three terms
- For every one month of tuition, children on average make 4-5 months progress
- Programme also builds confidence, self-esteem and resilience
- Flexible 1:1 & 1:3 programmes are also possible depending on school needs
“When evaluating the impact of The Children’s Literacy Charity, the visible improvements in pupils’ overall confidence and attitude towards reading and writing are clearly evident. With the support of the CLC we are slowly beginning to eradicate the problem of poor literacy amongst the pupils at our school” Reema Reid, Head Teacher, Hollydale Primary School, Southwark
The Reading Lab Programme – Key Stage 2
Expert One-to-Three Reading Comprehension and Vocabulary Tuition for KS2
- A 10-week reading comprehension & vocabulary programme designed for older primary children who may have fallen behind due to Covid and absence from school
- 45-minute sessions, twice a week for a term with one of our specialist tutors
- Small group tuition to promote confidence and literacy skills ahead of the transition to secondary school
- After 10 weeks of tuition, children on average make 10 months of progress
“We feel that it has been invaluable to our Year 6s in terms of bridging that gap between primary and secondary school. The children have enjoyed going and they’ve grown in confidence. It’s been a really seamless approach; the school and the CLC have worked collaboratively. We know that it’s there but it’s just been a very fluid process” Deputy Head, Harlesden School, London NW10